Le LOU in the final European Challenge after the success of the wasps

Victorious for the Wasps (20-18), the Lyonnais will therefore play their first grand final of the professional era and it will be in Marseille, at the end of May. Having been particularly rough and inaccurate in finishing in the first period, the Rhodians then managed to reverse the trend in the wake of their opener entrepreneur Léo Berdeu, leading to a revival that he himself completed in the English goal in the 47th, an attempt that he transformed to allow his team to lead for the first time in the score (10-8).

Launched on good offensive bases, this semi-final of the European Challenge, played under a summer sun in Gerland, nevertheless suffered from a lack of technical rigor, and therefore continuity. If the Wasps managed to score in the 24th inning with their Robson scrimmage half, infiltrating the closed side behind the ball, this zero-pass attempt opened the scoring, but above all it showed the difficulty of multiplying the playing times. .

Charcosset in force

One can signal a decision, or rather an absence of decision, from the Irish referee on a percussion in the arm of the English center Fekitoa on the face of Leo Berdeu (30th) who was worth at least a yellow card. But Murphy’s law – in the name of this lax game director – was in favor of the English. This did not stop the LOU, once his substitutes entered, from winning by a force test signed Charcosset (54th) before Léo Berdeu naked went three times to score a second penalty (65th) which brought the score to 20-11.

But the English ended up in charge in the image of Gopperth’s try on a ball carried behind the penalty spot (75th, 20-18) concluding a clear combination that left the Lyonnais perplexed but not sluggish. In fact, they occupied the English camp at the last minute and thus preserved their short lead, a ticket to the final in the pocket against the winner of Toulon-Saracens, scheduled for Saturday night in Mayol (21 hours).


Leave a Comment