When we board a plane, the posture of the flight attendants who greet us with their hands behind their backs may seem intriguing. Discover the message behind this gesture but also the other specifics of the profession of flight attendant.
Flight attendants keep their hands behind their backs when boarding passengers: why are they doing this?
The flight attendants (flight attendant, steward) are the people who take care of the passengers throughout the flight and act as an intermediary between the pilots and the people on board the plane. They must abide by strict rules and show great concentration on every gesture. You may have noticed that at the entrance of the plane they are waiting for our arms behind our backs.
This gesture is neither related to hygiene, nor to safety, nor even to the protection of a valuable object in their possession, but is strictly a gesture of discretion with a very well defined goal. This posture in question is provided in the job description, so many other details and rules that you must keep in mind when traveling.
Flight attendants have a duty to count all passengers who board the aircraft. In order not to be mistaken in the account, they use a very small special device to be able to hold it in the hands that they put behind the back. Each time a passenger gets on board, they press the button on their own. It is preferable to keep your hands behind your back so as not to draw attention to this action.
The least common rules that flight attendants must follow:
- Their attire is extremely important. The clothing must be simple, elegant and comfortable, so that it can move freely in case of emergency. Must have a specialized course for hiring maintenance and holding many qualities such as dialogue in other languages or the ability to swim.
- You are not allowed to chew duchewing gum or communicate with your cell phone when wearing a flight attendant uniform.
- Infallible hygiene should be adopted as a razor or cut the hair of the nose, ears or armpits when wearing an airline uniform. According to American Airlines.
- You are not allowed to smoke when wearing an air hostess uniform – According to Emirates, Etihad, Qatar.
- All flight attendants at the beginning of the journey, without prior experience in aviation, must be celibataires. – According to Jet Airways.
- If you have a mustache, “United Airlines” requires you to keep it. A certain length must also be respected.
- The length of the nail should not exceed the tip of the finger by more than 3 mm – According to the company “Hawaiian Airlines”.
- You are not allowed to own alcohol, cigarettes or pork in your home if you work for Qatar Airways.
Read also The trick of flight attendants to travel first class without paying more